How Much Savings Should I Have at 35

How much savings should one have at age 35? I think that is an interesting question that demands a good answer.

I was recently browsing an article when I came across something that caught my attention.

The article was giving a rule of thumb on how much one should have saved at age 35, 45, 55 and 65.

I am not too sure whether I recall the figures correctly but it stated that these were the sums required:
- @ age 35 = 1 times your annual income
- @ age 45 = 3 times your annual income
- @ age 55 = 5 times your annual income
- @ age 65 = 8 times your annual income
Saving in gold bullion perhaps?

What this means is that if you have an annual income of say, $100,000, you should have saved the same amount by age 35. At age 45, you should have saved $300,000 (3 times annual income). And at age 55 and 65, $500,000 and $800,000 respectively. This assumes no income growth.

I am wondering whether this is a realistic sum. I personally think it sounds realistic because assuming the person retires with am annual income of $200,000 , it means that he should have saved $1.6 million. Not very high but definitely a stretched and achievable target.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Unlock Exclusive Deals and Savings: Join Amazon Prime Today!

Amazon is celebrating Prime members with a multitude of deals during Prime Day. The event will offer more deals than ever before, with new d...